Ken Burns Documentary "The War"

Controversial topics such as politics, religion, news that turns controversial etc
Stasi

Post by Stasi »

... by the PC squad to force it to have a special section about hispanics in WW2. They are applying a lot of pressure to coerce him into re-editing the film to include a section specifically about the hispanics. To me, this reeks of censorship by the politically correct elements in our society and since it sounds like he's going to capitulate to some extent, who knows how much these folks will be emboldened. The purpose and style of his film does benefit from the inclusion of every little interest group who might want their cause represented. God forbid that he should be assaulted by gay rights, black, asian, women, and other miscellaneous groups to include a special section about them. If you want to see a documentary about the hispanic contribution to WW2, then provide funding and support to someone who'll film one. Don't go to a respected documentary filmmaker and tell him, his funders, and PBS that they need to re-edit an already completed film to include a token section about group X. Re-editing and already completed film is a hell of a lot of work.

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/bb/entertainme...urns_05-14.html

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3257, old post ID:59481
Reaper

Post by Reaper »

First of all, when I saw the title I thought the guy burned his copy of the documentary.
Anyway. . . It's his doc so shouldn't he be the only one to have a say for what's in it? I'd tell them to FO.
He says:
"We knew going in we weren't going to be able to tell the whole story"

There's plenty of documentaries on the Tuskegee Airmen and other black soldiers during the war. And women workers. . .Asia was an entire theatre and I bet there is a doc on the internement camps. . .etc etc.

Archived topic from Anythingforums, old topic ID:3257, old post ID:59483
Never argue with an idiot. They will bring you down to their level and beat you with experience every time.