Sending a fax using a cable modem

Firewalls, routers, servers, switches, SANs, PBXes, security and related topics
gd253

Post by gd253 »

I'm not sure if this is the right forum but how the heck do you send a fax using Word and a cable modem?

I figure I just need to send a fax a couple of times a year, so a subscription service is out of the question unless it's free.

Any ideas are welcome.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4145, old post ID:33853
richardj

Post by richardj »

Why don't you just use your phone modem? I assume you have one-most PCs do.

If not go buy a cheap one & put it in. But make sure it's fax capable.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4145, old post ID:33855
gd253

Post by gd253 »

Hmm, I don't want to pour scorn on your solution but that's retro solution for what should be a simple problem in the 21st century. And it's getting hard to buy fax/modems now as everyone is swinging over to DSL/cable.

The computer is upstairs and the cable connection coming in from the street is downstairs so I use wireless to talk to it. I no longer have a real phone line as I use VoIP. It means dragging the computer downstairs and plugging it into the ENGIN box. Of course I could pay money & just buy a (shudder!) REAL fax machine & plug that into the ENGIN.

I may end up having to do just that. --grr!!

This is not a trivial question.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4145, old post ID:33856
richardj

Post by richardj »

retro?

A fax was created to be used with a phone line.

I don't know why anyone would want VOIP anyway, unless you make a cagillion long distance calls a month.

HERE'S YOUR ANSWER & THE ANSWER IS NO

All categories » Cable Modems FAQ

Can I send and receive fax using a Cable Modem ?

No. The Cable Modem itself will not transmit and receive faxes like an analog telephone modem will. However, if you sign up for a service like jfax.com or eFax.com, you can receive and transmit faxes as email (for free or a minimal fee).

OR GO HERE & paste in your fax if you're in their service area.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4145, old post ID:33858
gd253

Post by gd253 »

Fantastic, Richard, just what I wanted. efax etc and the free fax URL you sent are just the ticket.

Re: Why use VoIP? The line rental for an Aussie phone line is high cf USA, $31.76/month. Calls are 40c ea. Then there's the 10% GS bloody T surcharge. My monthly phone bill has been cut to a third by using VoIP. No more line rental & very cheap local (yes, we have to pay for local calls). If the other party has an ENGIN box the call is free regardless where they are in the country.

It makes sense to use VoIP here and the audio quality isn't too bad.

--gd

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4145, old post ID:33880
richardj

Post by richardj »

Oh---NO WONDER

Here in the US My phone bill is like about $13.00/mth. Calls are $0.05. (5 cents each)

And by using PHONEHOG I get free long distance.

I would call your cable provider & find out for sure if you can or cannot fax thru the cable modem.

Then I would hook up a phone line from your PC downstairs to the cable. If you're not using the phone jacks in the house maybe you could wire them to do this or just get 100 feet of 'mounting cord'(with the ends on) and run it down the side of the house or fish the walls.

OR HERE is a wireless phone jack that uses the electrical wiring.

I'd be glad to come over & help if you want to pay air fare

LOL :biglaugh:

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:4145, old post ID:33881