Networking

Firewalls, routers, servers, switches, SANs, PBXes, security and related topics
jryan

Networking

Post by jryan »

Hey All,

I like to think of myself as someone who knows what they're doing when it comes to networking, but I'm a little stumped with some of the legacy hardware I had to use at one of the setup locations that I recently worked on. We were trying to network two PC's ( one with Win98 and the other with WinME) together using a standard D-Link Router (Which actually is just a hub, to my dismay). We got them to work on the same network, then told them to find thier own IPs, only to realize that it was two high-speed IP addresses that it was recieving. (Thus, I checked and discovered a hub). Rather than going out and buying a router, we decided to try getting the machines to talk to each other on the LAN without using the ADSL for File/Print Sharing. I'm assuming I can just bind either NetBEUI or IPX/SPX to Windows File/Print Sharing instead of TCP/IP and that should work. It'll be a few more days before I get back to that location, so if you could leave your replies, I'd appreciate it.

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:187, old post ID:627
fernan82

Networking

Post by fernan82 »

OK if I understand what you're saying you're trying to network 2 pcs together using a hub and a usb modem.......well i haven't done it like that but i think you can do it but you're gonna have to get the a different IP for each PC unless you use some routing software to share the same IP but in that case 1 pc is gonna have to act as a server to provide the other w/ a private IP so unless the main PC is up and running the other won't be able to connect to the internet so maybe (i don't know exactly what you want to do) but maybe your best bet if to get a router if both PCs have a NIC card already then all you have to do is connect all the cables and you're setup and ready to go.....

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:187, old post ID:657
fernan82

Networking

Post by fernan82 »

So for now - here's how I saved £60 setting up a second pc to share my cable modem broadband connection using ICS:
I don't know exactly how much is £60 but where i'm from you i can get a router w/ cables for about $30 and a NIC card for $5 (after rebate)..........

Archived topic from Iceteks, old topic ID:187, old post ID:791